Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Monterey Days - Labor Day Weekend

The Facts:
Monterey is located in the country in Pulaski County. It is near Culver and Winimac. The population of Monterey was 218 in 2010. It is 37 miles south of South Bend and 77 miles southeast of Chicago.
Monterey is named after a city in Mexico.
A very strange fact - Monterey area is 174% higher on average than the rest of the US on tornado activity. (I find this to be a strange number but I just double checked it)
The First National Bank of Monterey was established August 1, 1910 and is still in operation.


Monterey is a charming small town. It has a few buildings in their downtown. They have a town park. There is a bicycle trail. I haven't found out how long the trail is or where it goes. Hopefully some of the readers may know the answer. (I haven't had a chance to go down the trail yet). What little I did find online, the trail is supposed to eventually meet up with the trail from North Judson. It is an old railroad path.

Labor Day weekend they have Monterey Days. The Saturday of Labor Day they have their town wide yard sale. Unfortunately, it decided to pour the day(Saturday) we visited Monterey. It did not dampen the spirits of the people enjoying the festival! Here's a link to the run down of everything they do! Monterey Days calendar of events

There was lots of good food to choose from including the usual fair/festival food AND homecooked Ham and Beans! It's an annual event for the Lions Club to cook beans in a cast iron pot over a fire in the town park. This year they served an AUCE Ham and beans supper which included cornbread, a drink and a brownie or cookie. My friend Angie had it and said it was very good! The United Methodist Church had a potato bar.
 

If you want a small, fun, old time feel festival you need to visit Monterey Days next year. I think I may visit more than 1 day next time. You aren't going to find a lot of booths of things to buy but the activities are great for families.

Here are some pictures of downtown Monterey.


Library

DJ playing music at the Monterey Days in front of the Family & Women's Health Services.
View of the Tippecanoe River as you enter Monterey

Bridge into Monterey

Monterey has a bank, 2 Churches, a bar, hardware, library, town park, health services, bike trail, American Legion and probably a couple other things I have forgotten to mention! It is worth the trip. You can get to it from SR 17 south of Culver. (I have found this to be the easiest route).

I hope you enjoyed my view of Monterey. I don't claim to be an expert on the towns I am and will be writing about. I am telling things as I know them to be. If any of my readers found something that needs to be corrected please let us know in the comments section.

To view more pictures of Monterey visit  http://photobucket.com/Montereyind











No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you live in a small town and want me to visit? Feel free to leave me a message! Have you been to the small town I blogged about? What was your experience? None of the above? - Feel free to comment.