Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kewanna and Ober

The facts: Kewanna is a small town in Fulton County. It has a population of 614 (2010 census). It is located on State Road 17 south of Culver. Kewanna is 45 miles south of South Bend and 86 miles southeast of Chicago.


I was told that Kewanna was a neat little town in its day. When I visited Kewanna this past weekend, I found several empty, old buildings. It's a shame they are not being restored and used. I can imagine them being fixed and painted in colors from "the old days".

Kewanna has a nice town park with a ball field. It has a cafe, bar, bank, VFW and a funeral home. It has a really nice library, 3 churches and several interesting buildings.

If you would like to see pictures of the town of Kewanna click HERE.

On the way to Monterey and Kewanna I went through an even smaller town. I could not find any facts for this town. It is called Ober. It is located south of SR 8(east) on SR 23 in Starke County. Ober is east of Knox. There is an old school there.


It says OBER DISTRICT NO 7

 steps to school
Church that is in Ober

These were the 3 towns(along with Monterey) that I visited Labor Day weekend. I am not sure which town will be my next town or when. I have a family get together I am planning currently so until that is over I don't have any plans made. Hopefully, my next day out, there won't be a downpour and maybe some of the fall colors will start seeping in.

In the mean time....if you know of a small town I should visit please let me know in the comments!!

2 comments:

  1. You should visit Francesvile. Their annual Fall Festival is always the 3rd weekend in Sept. This year they will have a replica of the Abraham Lincoln funeral train. If you ever need Pulaski County information talk to Janet Onken at the Library in Winamac, she has a wealth of knowledge. And stop by St James Salem United Church of Christ east of Francesville @ 1100 W & 600 S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I go to Francesville for their town wide every year. Not sure if I will make it to the Festival...I need to start planning out the fall adventures. Thanks for the info. I believe I have pictures of St James. If you are on Facebook go to www.facebook.com/walkingsmalltownindiana and I have lots of pictures on there. I am currently posting pictures of Pulaski County.

      I have not updated this blog in awhile...I need to do that :)

      Delete

Do you live in a small town and want me to visit? Feel free to leave me a message! Have you been to the small town I blogged about? What was your experience? None of the above? - Feel free to comment.